In May 1952 the first Lions Club was born in Belgium.
Leon Vannuvel, met early in 1951, Jean Pierre Galand, a lawyer and founder of the first Lions club in Switzerland and Tony Delage, an American lions, responsible for development of the Lions in Europe.

A core group of interested people met in Brussels on 31 March 1952. The club was officially founded under the name of Lions Club of Brussels, Brussels Center currently. The charter was presented on 17 May 1952. To ensure the required number of founding members (20) Tony Delage became a valued member of the club. The parish club is the Lions Club of Vichy in France.

A few weeks later Antwerp received its charter under the sponsorship of Brussels, followed in spring 1953, by Liège (Liege City now). Then came Ghent and Namur. De Panne in 1954 was the first small town to receive its charter. Paul Simpelaere, founding member of the club was elected in 1960 as the first director of the Belgian international association.

Following the disastrous floods of 1953 the existing Lions Club received the support of the international association that enabled them to build the Medical Center and Prenatal in Hingene.
The first national convention was held in Keerbergen in May 1953 with a presence in 100% of the five clubs already created or in preparation.

In 1958, during the Universal Exhibition Lions of all over the world were welcomed to the Welcome Center for the Lions.

On 3 March 1959 King Baudouin accepted the honorary presidency of our Association, an honor that his successor King Albert maintains to us today.